It's a rare rainy day in Hollywood this morning. The weather is conspiring to make a very authentic-feeling St. Patrick's Day. What better excuse to cook up some comfort food, Irish-style?
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 3 large or 4 smallish potatoes, scrubbed, peeled if you wish, and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced very thin
- 1/3 stick of butter, about 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup whole milk
- Put bacon in a large pot over high heat. Cook until crisp, then remove from heat, but do not drain.
- While the bacon is cooking, simmer the potatoes in a little water and cover with a lid. When you can break the chunks of potato with a fork, add the cabbage and simmer until the potatoes are done, about 3 minutes more. You want the potatoes to be cooked through but not mushy.
- Lift the potatoes and cabbage from the water and add to the pot with the bacon in it. (Yes, leave the bacon grease in the pot!) Over medium-low heat, fold in the butter and milk, stirring to combine and break up the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the green onions. In about 5 minutes you will have a creamy, comforting bowl of Irish love!