Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bacon-Wrapped Lit'l Smokies

Meat Candy!

File this under:  junk food.  But you know what?  Sometimes you want what you want, and you just have to vow to eat only broccoli for the next two days, and just go with it.

My husband and I were going to a church function for married couples this weekend and we were to bring an appetizer for 4-6 people.  I knew immediately I wanted to make these.  I could see it now:  two kinds of hummus, chips and salsa, a veggie tray with ranch dressing ... necessary, but boring.  I wanted to bring the pizzazz!  And I did - these little wienies were the first to disappear!

Bacon-Wrapped Lit'l Smokies

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound bacon
  • 1 package Lit'l Smokies
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

Not health food.  Not even close.  But SOOOO good.
Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 400 F.  Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil (makes for a much easier clean up.)
  2. Cut each slice of bacon into thirds.  Wrap a Lit'l Smokie in bacon, and place seam-side down in the tray.  The package I had made 33 of these, so you'll need about 11 pieces of bacon.  When all the Lit'l Smokies are wrapped in bacon, sprinkle heavily with brown sugar.
  3. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the sugar is bubbling and melty.

I then poked each one with a toothpick.  If it's just you and the family going at these guys, you can use forks, but for a potluck, keep it simple and use the picks.  These are like crunchy, smoky, sweet, salty, meaty candy.  I cannot overstate how fantastic these are!

No comments:

Post a Comment