Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce



Summer is here, time to get grilling!  While I love barbecue chicken, it's nice to mix it up a little.  Time to try some Thai!

When trying a new recipe, I like to read as many different versions of it as possible, online and in cookbooks, and then synthesize my own.  For example, about 75% of the recipes I read for the chicken marinade included yogurt, so I decided to use that as a base.  Only 25% used coconut milk, and since I didn't have any in my pantry, and since it was in the minority of recipes, I decided to exclude it.  If you have a favorite cookbook that you trust, or a favorite online resource that never steers you wrong, by all means, use their recipe to the letter the first time you make a dish, and change it next time to suit your tastes.  But I sometimes I like to formulate my own recipe, knowing the preferences of my family and the ingredients in my fridge.

So here goes, my attempt at Thai Chicken Satay Skewers.  And you know what?  They came out really well!  My husband did the grilling, my family did the eating, and everyone liked them.  Synthesis:  Success!

Chicken Satay Skewers

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (use powdered if you don't have fresh)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 10 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes before grilling
Directions:
  1. Slice chicken thighs into 1" strips.
  2. Mix together everything else and stir in the chicken pieces.  Let this marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  3. When the grill is hot and the skewers are soaked, thread the chicken onto the skewers.  Grill for 5-8 minutes per side.  Serve with peanut sauce and fresh cilantro.
Peanut Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (or more to taste)
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil, or 1 teaspoon grape seed or other mild-tasting oil
Directions:
  1. Blend in the food processor.  That's it!  If you want a thinner consistency, add more coconut oil, or water if you like.  
We had a few skewers left over.  They made an excellent salad the next day!  I chopped the chicken and tossed it with salad greens and chopped bell pepper.  To turn the peanut sauce into salad dressing, I thinned it out with grape seed oil in the food processor, and added a little more lime juice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment