Friday, February 25, 2011

Oven-Roasted Pork Chops with Lemon-Caper Sauce


Where others have a sweet tooth, I have a sour tooth. I've been known to use only vinegar, and skip the oil, when dressing my salad. I eat cornichons like other people eat bon bons. So when I saw this recipe for pork chops in a lemon caper sauce, I knew I was going to like it.

Using a recipe from my "Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook", I skipped the step of brining my pork chops, mostly because I didn't read the recipe far enough in advance to do it before dinner. They came out fine without it, and were very juicy. These were easy, quick, and nearly fool-proof. They were tart and tangy (but not puckery, so if you are not a sour-lover like me, you won't be put off.)

Oven-Roasted Pork Chops with Lemon-Caper Sauce
(adapted from The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook)

Ingredients:
  • 4 pork chops, about 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed of excess fat
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium shallot, minced
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup juice from 2 lemons
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat, and brown the pork chops on one side, for about 2 minutes. Flip and brown the other side, another 2 minutes.
  2. Transfer the chops to a foil-lined baking sheet, or large, wide baking dish (so they aren't crowded or touching each other.) Roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 140 to 145 degrees on a thermometer, about 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven, place on a platter, and cover with aluminum foil. Let them rest for about 5 minutes, and check to make sure the internal temperature has reached 150 degrees.
  3. While the chops are in the oven, add the shallot to the skillet you cooked the pork chops in, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 30 seconds.
  4. Increase the heat and add the broth, stirring to scrape up any bits stuck to the pan. Add the lemon juice and capers and cook until the sauce reduces to about 1/3 cup, about 4 minutes.
  5. Off the heat, whisk in the butter, and pour over the pork chops.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, this recipe inspired me to create a delicious version. I added one onion and artichoke heart made a big sauce and finish cooking the sauté pork chops in it. It turn out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete